If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (386) 409-9080

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Commercial Fires: Knowledge is the Key to Prevention

6/25/2016 (Permalink)

Keep Chemicals Away From Water Heaters

Some Fires Can Be Prevented While Others Are Beyond an Owner's Control

Commercial fire damage in Titusville and throughout the United States can cause significant property damage, and it can also have a dramatic effect on your emotions and finances. Knowing the most common causes of commercial fires allows you to take a proactive approach to fire safety and decrease the risk of fire and minimize the amount of fire damage to your commercial building.

Approximately 80,000 commercial fires break out in the United States every year. They are primarily attributed to the following:


In many cases, a fire is nothing more than a simple mistake that could have been prevented. For example, a coffee pot that has been unknowingly left on, electrical equipment being used incorrectly, or failing to put out a cigarette completely can quickly and easily result in a massive fire that can cause commercial fire damage. To prevent this, be sure your employees are properly trained on how to use electrical equipment. Also, if you have employees who smoke, make certain they have a designated area outside to smoke with a secure spot to extinguish their cigarettes. This could cut down on your staff trying to sneak in a smoke break inside the building.


While arson most often occurs in abandoned buildings, arsonists could strike anywhere. Whether your building is empty or a buzzing hive of activity, be sure your building has a working automatic sprinkler system to help limit the amount of damage.


This most often results when a potentially flammable material is kept too close to a heat source, such as a water heater or furnace. Always, be sure that your workers know where they should and should not store items. This also pertains to space heaters. If you have employees who use them, be sure they are a safe distance from curtains, chairs, and anything else that has the potential to catch fire.  


Faulty equipment includes everything from overloading extension cords, using frayed power cords, or installing a light bulb with a wattage that is too high to having outdated wiring and breaker boxes in your building. If you do not have enough plugins, hire an electrician to install more. At the same, routinely assess all the electrical cords in your building for damage, while also checking light bulbs to ensure they are not over the recommended wattage. Finally, schedule routine electrical inspections with a licensed electrician to ensure your wiring stays up to code.  

As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of New Smyrna Beach-Titusville is strategically located so that our technicians can respond immediately to your emergency. If you have experienced commercial fire damage in New Smyrna Beach, Titusville, Cocoa Beach, or any of the surrounding areas, we have the trained staff and resources to help. Call (321) 264-0205 today!

Other News

View Recent Posts